So, I usually write about products that I love, that I am interested in, or that I am curious about. This time I have a rant to share! As you know I typically prefer professional products over OTC products for their quality and performance. Well... I ran out of my usual Bioelements Multi-Task Mascara in Perfect Black and my Bioelements Sheer Makeup. Knowing it would be a few weeks before my next shipment would come in, so I caved and went to Walmart! I completely know better!! Never-the-less I proceeded to purchase make up at Walmart. I picked out what I thought would be the most gentle and perform decently (until my Bioelements came in of course). I bought an Almay Pure Blends Foundation 97.4% natural (or so it claims) and the popular Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in the trusted pink tube.
The first week or so went ok. I wasn't crazy about using my emergency replacements but what the heck it was working. The foundation was a little on the greasy side unlike my sheer makeup that just soaks in and is like I am wearing nothing. The mascara was a bit watery for my liking but hey my lashes looked long & dark.
About a two weeks into using my emergency replacements, my skin started to break out and my eyelids became itchy and red! Coincidence? I think not! Just to prove my point I stopped using the Almay foundation and my skin started to clear up (however my eye's were still suffering the irritation of the mascara). The following week I stopped using the mascara and sure enough my eyes gradually got better!
The whole experience just confirmed that quality is more important than price. Although price was not the reason for my purchase, I am sure it is for many. Who doesn't want to save a few bucks? Many products on the market today are not as fabulous as their amazing advertising campaign and the highly paid celebrities that endorse them. In addition to that propaganda there are many professionals out there that compromise their integrity and endorse products that are not worthy.
My word of advise? Be cautious when purchasing cosmetics. Purchase from a salon or spa whenever possible. Think quality not price point. Skimp on your latte not your cosmetics. Your skin, eyes, and mouth will thank you for it!
Monday, May 11, 2009
For subtle, glossy cheeks that say natural but put together, try Rosie Jane Cosmetics - Cheek Gloss!
"Rosie Jane Cheek Gloss is an easy to blend, translucent and glossy cheek colour, developed to enhance the look of natural glowing skin and youthful radiance. A range of three colours to suit any age and any occasion, it can be used on its own for a quick stroll on the beach or with foundation for a big night out. It won't lose its shine."
Rosie Jane Cheek Gloss come in three fabulous colors:
POPPY- deep berry, giving the cheek a subtle, sexy glow.
MARIGOLD- golden bronze giving the cheek a fresh natural glow.
ROSE- hot pink giving the cheek a youthful, rosy glow.
A cheek gloss is worn best alone or on top of liquid/creme foundation. You want to stay away from powder because it will cause the gloss to turn into clump.
A cheek gloss it truly pretty and gives the skin an unbelievable soft glowing look!
Posted by Nicole at 9:38 AM
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
This blog has won the Honest
Scrap Award! Sue aka The Scent Lady who writes the blog YouScentMe, nominated me. Thanks Sue! Check out her blog I'm sure you will enjoy it as I do.
“What’s an Honest Scrap Award?”
“This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blog’s content or design is, in the giver’s opinion, brilliant.”
There are some rules to winning this award
I. “When accepting this auspicious award, I must write a post bragging about it, including the name and link to the person who thinks I deserve such acclaim.
II. List 10 honest things about myself. Drum roll please...
1) I have THREE boys! Ages 13, 10, & 14 months.
2) I rescued a fish from Walmart. The story goes... I was walking down the pet isle to pick up some bird food. When I spotted this grayish beta fish floating in his plastic bowl. I tap on the container to see if he was still alive. As I gave the container a few light thumps, the fish started lethargically swimming. Feeling sorry for him I open his container and add water to his bowl from a sink near by. I then opened a can of fish food and gave him a few sprinkles and put him back. He did not come home with me that day. His bright colored companion did. (I bought my son a beta fish to replace on that had recently passed). However on the next trip to Walmart I went to check on the little guy. He wasn't a very pretty beta. In fact he was a dingy color & his tail was tattered with holes in it. Not to my surprise he was still there in the same pathetic shape. This time, I couldn't leave him to die a slow death at Walmart. So I gently pick him up and put him in the cart, picked out a new bowl and marbles for him and the rest is history :) He now lives on my fireplace mantel. He has transformed from this lethargic, dingy, tattered fish, into a happy, healthy, pretty fish. His tail mended quickly and he now is very active and jumps and swirls all around in his bowl. Especially at meal time. It's funny but I'm really attached to the little guy. True story.:)
3) I like sushi. A little inappropriate in light of my previous story.
4) I was a make-up artist on an independent film "The Rune". I don't know what ended up happening with that movie. If it got picked up by Sundance or if the title of the movie changed?
5) I worked for MAC Cosmetics for two years & loved it.
6) I have been an Aesthetician for 10 years and have owned my own business since I was 23.
7) I am into homeopathy and treat my family with herbs, essential oils, and vitamins before we ever go to a doctor.
8) I had my third baby at home. Yes on purpose. If I would of known what I know now, I would have had all my kids in the comfort and safety of my home. It by far the BEST experience. I would do it again hands down.
9) I like the San Francisco band Loquat.
10) My husband and I eloped after only three months of knowing each other. We will have been married for 11years in September. No one thought we'd make it this far. Eat your heart out haters. :P
III. Now I have to choose a minimum of seven (7) blogs that I find brilliant in content or design, to pass on this honor. And they are:
The Beauty Stop
Couture in the City
The MomRN Show
Posted by Nicole at 12:16 PM
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
I'm in love with this product. I started using Grapes Antioxidant
lotion probably two years ago now. I started using it in the winter when my hands are at their worst. I wash my hands continuously throughout the day. It's an occupational hazard. My hands tend to crack and look dehydrated. That was the case when I started using Grapes. Believe me I had used every hand lotion and body lotion available. I could not find anything that didn't burn, that nourished, and protected my hands. Then I was introduced to Grapes from a local rep who left me a sample. I started using it after I washed my hands, in the morning before work and at night before bed. In about a week of using Grapes my hands appeared hydrated and the tiny cracks healed. Grapes has been the only lotion I can use on my hands that soothes, doesn't burn, nourishes, & is healing! I was sold and started carrying it at my shop.
Grapes has two formula's Grapes Original
in the purple bottle and Grapes Organic
in the green bottle. Grapes is a nutraceutical which means that it actually feeds the skin from the outside in. Grapes is a super anti-oxidant moisturizing lotion with age-defying, nutraceutical grade, 100% California grape extracts. They both smell amazing but the formula's feel different. The purple Grapes is lighter weight and the green bottle is a thicker cream. Like I said they smell amazing but they are not identical in sent. The purple bottle smells fresh, like a bouquet of vanilla, black raspberry and soft orchid & the green Grapes smells more like a bouquet of delicious harvest grapes and bergamont.
Not only is Grapes a an amazing super-antioxidant hand and body lotion that restores the skin's resiliency and elasticity. Grapes come in the cutes packaging ever. They look like wine bottles. They come in two sizes. Large grapes and mini grapes. I have both. I keep a mini Grapes in my purse and I have a large grapes at home and work.
If you are needing a new hand or body lotion Grapes is definitely worth a try I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Posted by Nicole at 3:07 PM